9.02.2010

Yellow Tomatoes

First, before we get started with this post, I would like to say that I've put an update on my Reflections blog (link also on right side of this page) that I felt fit better there than here on Expeditions in the Kitchen. The post consists of my raw reflections on my grandpa, our relationship, and my emotions after his death on August 22, 2010.

* * *

Whoa! Where did summer go? Suddenly school’s started, the US Open is in full swing (no pun intended), and this weekend is Labor Day weekend! Luckily for us though, summer’s produce has not come to an end yet. If you have not been enjoying it and taking full advantage of its colorful bounty, I beseech you to go to your nearest farmer’s market, farmer’s stand, or even the grocery store, and buy more than you know what to do with! Buy it all with wild abandon! Wonderful, fresh, healthy, tasty dishes await!

There are so many fun things to do with the many kinds of produce available, so I think today I’ll just start with my two favorite tomato varieties and in the coming days I’ll cover some of my other favorite summer produce.

I have been particularly in love with tomatoes this summer, especially the super sweet, unlike-any-other-tomato Sungold variety (could also be known and Sweet Gold). I usually halve and toss them uncooked or very lightly cooked into whatever I’m making. I do not enjoy eating tomatoes raw with no adornments, but Sungolds are the exception. Due to their exceptional flavor, I rarely cook them because I am fearful of ruining a good thing! I have enjoyed them as a bruschetta topping, in a salad with arugula, basil, parmesan, and a balsamic vinaigrette, or tossed into pasta with a cilantro and basil herb oil. Truly, anything you do with these tomatoes will be a delight!

My other favorite tomato is a new discovery I made just this year. They are yellow tomatoes that I unfortunately don’t know the exact name of (maybe Lemon Boy or Limmony), but they are a true lemon yellow color and have a round shape. They have a tangy flavor to them that is actually sort lemony and very clean and crisp. I have used them on pizzas, but making them into a quick sauce or soup with the fewest ingredients possible, so as not to mask their flavor, I found to be the way to go. When I had the left over sauce as soup the next day I literally giggled with greedy glee, quite smug with my discovery of the “mystery lemon tomato.”


Lemon Yellow Tomato Sauce

Besides the refreshing taste of these tomatoes, the yellow color of their sauce is stunning and makes for a unique presentation. The skins of the tomato are left on to boost the yellow color and also for the ease of preparation. Since we are adding the tomato juices to the pan (instead of discarding them) and only cooking the tomatoes briefly, this sauce will be thinner than the typical canned tomato sauce, which to me, seems perfect for summertime.

Adapted from Heidi Swanson’s recipe

Serves 3

1 ½ pounds/24oz/680g ripe yellow tomatoes, cored and cut into thirds

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 garlic cloves, chopped

¾ teaspoon fine grain sea salt or ½ teaspoon table salt

¼ teaspoon ground pepper or red pepper flakes

Remove the seeds from the tomatoes (doesn’t have to be all of them, just the majority) and chop into ¼ inch chunks reserving any juice.

Heat a medium saucepan immediately adding the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper while the pan is heating. Stir occasionally until the garlic begins to sizzle and has just taken on some color. Add the tomatoes and their reserved juices and bring to a strong simmer in order to concentrate the juices. Cook briefly for 2 to 5 minutes depending on how much juice you have. Alternatively, if you have a lot of juice, add a tablespoon (or two) to flour to the garlic mixture before you add the tomatoes as this will help to thicken the juices. Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary. Serve over pasta, gnocchi, meat, or eat as a soup. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment